Friday, July 8, 2011

In Which I Present a Bribe of Delicious Proportions

So remember when I promised to post every day? Yeah, I don't either. Anyway, since it is a glorious summer day (Friday? Check! Payday? Check! [PUN!] 75 and sunny? Check!) I thought I'd share a recipe for my favorite dessert (which I actually meant to post Memorial Day weekend, but hey...bygones!).

So here--in all of its unadulterated awesomeness--is my recipe for BANOFFEE PIE, modified from The Hungry Monk of East Sussex.

Ingredients:



Crust:
1 package of digestive biscuits
a few tablespoons of butter/margarine

Filling:
1 can (12/13 oz) condensed milk
3 or 4 bananas

Garnish/Topping:
1 pt. heavy cream
1 c sugar
Chocolate chips/shavings
Cinnamon


1. Crush digestives in any manner in which you choose. I went the old fashioned way --put them in a ziploc and pound with a frying pan. Not suggested if you like to look classy while you bake.

Before:


After:



2. Melt butter/margarine/lard and stir into crushed digestives.

3. Form crust in pie dish/tin and bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

VOILA, PIE CRUST!



Now, for the fun stuff--making the toffee. (If you end up liking the recipe, I suggest doing this section in bulk because it's really time consuming/annoying/the finished product has an ridiculously long shelf life.)

4. Remove label from can of condensed milk and put it in a pot of water. (Do not open it; it must stay sealed.)

5. Boil for about 2.5 hours. IMPORTANT: YOU MUST MAKE SURE THE WATER DOESN'T BOIL DOWN. MAKE SURE THE CAN IS FULLY SUBMERGED AT ALL TIMES. IF IT BOILS DRY, IT WILL EXPLODE.*

...riveting.



*Funny story about these cans exploding: I was making a banoffee a few weeks ago, got impatient and decided to take the cans of condensed milk off the stove after 1.5 hours. The cans I had were the easy open kind and I didn't wait for them to cool so when I opened them, piping hot toffee shot out hitting me, the kitchen ceiling, and a friend who was next to me. After an emergency phone call to an EMT friend who was wine-touring in Napa, I put a bandaid on the lovely second degree burn that had sprouted on my arm and asked a taller friend to kindly remove the dessert from the ceiling. She obliged, all was well with the world, and I had a new funny story to tell. But still, this is a cautionary tale so: BOIL THE CONDENSED MILK FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS AND LET IT COOL BEFORE YOU OPEN IT.

6. Pour toffee (it should be a little thicker than yogurt in consistency...like Greek yogurt, actually.) into the cooled pie crust.

7. Slice bananas and put them on top of toffee (you can also put them under the toffee...or under and on top, if you really like bananas....since you asked, this is definitely what I do).



Also optional: put chocolate chips/shavings IN the pie, too!

8. Make whipped cream---cream+sugar+whisk/mixer. Really simple. Really delicious.


yum.


9. Put whipped cream on pie; garnish with chocolate chips/shavings and cinnamon and enjoy!





Random tip: If the toffee isn't quite the right consistency/it's going to be really hot out, pop the pie in the freezer for a few hours prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment